There are multiple ways to improve video quality when creating film, whether it is for a long film, a short film or a trailer; the video quality is always vital for success. Below i will list some of the key aspects of filming that will improve video quality.
- Natural lighting is the best lighting
- LED lights on phones help to create a cinematic look
- Hard light vs soft light
- Reflectors (Tinfoil, White Cardboard)
- Lights a Candles to create a mood
- Dim lighting/ darker colour correction usually used for a trailer
- Add in certain props and object of my own into the set to make it seem more filled and give the scene more life.
- Props in a scene also make it seem cinematic
- Using a tripod for a still shot to prevent movement
- Add movement to shots makes them seem more cinematic
- Dolly Shots (tracking shots in vehicles)
- Depth helps to bring a cinematic view
- Rule of thirds makes a shot look more interesting
- Use of low and high angles to represent strength and weakness
- Depth of Field (when the background is out of focus and the subject or object is in focus) gives the audience an idea as to where they should be looking.
- Sound effects used in along side a sound track
- Audio editing to make the clips link with the sound is effective and conventional in trailers
- Ambient Sound (record separately if needed, birds singing etc in a forest)
- Record sound effects separately.
- Use a Mic to record voice overs.